As you may know, Seth & I are going to New York City in 12 days! We are VERYVERYVERY excited about this. Not only will we be spending 5 days in the Big Apple together, we will also be making our Carnegie Hall debut singing Faure's Requiem. I think I may be a teensy bit more excited about this than Seth, considering he may very well sing at Carnegie again and I will most certainly not. At any rate, we are really looking forward to our trip! We've both been to NYC before and have done all the really touristy things, so this trip will be more of a walking-around-and-eating-lots-of-food-
and-maybe-going-to-a-museum-or-two kind of excursion.
And that's where you come in! What are some of your must-visit places in NYC -- attractions, restaurants, shops? Here's a partial list of some things we've heard we have to try. Any other ideas?
* West Village (Magnolia Bakery cupcakes, Amy's Bread, Rocco's for black & white cookies and cannoli)
* Carnegie Deli?
* Cafe Europa?
* Le Pain Quotidien
* A fancy restaurant one night -- maybe Gramercy Tavern or one of Mario Batali's restaurants (Babbo, Otto, Lupa) or Artisanal, which I hear has a cheese list to die for)?
* Gray's Papaya hot dogs (because Fools Rush In is one of my favorite movies)
* Sarabeth's for brunch?
* The Boathouse over the rowboat pond in Central Park -- I'm told that getting a glass of wine & a cheese plate there is a wonderful way to relax in Central Park
(Um... does it seem like maybe all we're going to be doing is eating? A friend of mine also told me about a fabulous handbag consignment shop, and we plan to spend some time at the Met or MoMA, too. And we're hoping to see either Wicked or Avenue Q on Broadway... in between dinner and our midnight snack, of course.)
5 comments:
I have never been to NY but I did watch a thing on either the Food Network the other day about Gray's Papaya hotdogs. People were saying they are THE BEST around!! I am interested to know....
John's Pizza on Bleecker St.
Jacques Torres chocolate on Houston & Hudson St
Bar Americain -- one of Bobby Flay's 3 NY restaurants, it's fabulous
Fresh -- an excellent seafood restaurant on Reade St. in Tribeca.
Avenue Q is great! Mike has seen Wicked & loved it but I haven't seen it. I also highly recommend Jersey Boys (VERY difficult to get tickets though), Mamma Mia, The Drowsy Chaperone (although this might have closed now), Curtains and Rent. Try theatermania.com for possible good discounts depending on the show & the dates.
The Met and MoMA are both great but MoMA is a little more do-able in a short trip. Plus they have Starry Night, which is just amazing to see. Also the Guggenheim and the Whitney are both good and smaller museums.
If I think of more to add I'll email you or comment again!
Also, the Natural History museum is pretty cool. I've been there a few times.
I think your list is pretty great. I've been to NYC a few time for work, so I never had a ton of time to travel around. You might want to do the cliche things, i.e. Empire State building, Statue of Liberty, but those do take up sooo much time.
I LOVED Wicked, I saw it in Chicago. It is now my favorite show.
Your to-do list already sounds fabulous! I can't think of anything to add.
Post a Comment