I hope all of you had a wonderful day yesterday. I am well aware that this holiday is a painful day for many—whether because of family strife, loss of one’s mother or child, fertility challenges, or something else. It is a difficult day for my own mother, who has lost two children, and a difficult day for many I know who want children desperately, who have lost their own mothers, or both. Certainly there is much good reason to praise the moms of the world, but society seems bent on ignoring the rest of us for whom the day might be more painful than not (as I learned yesterday at church, brunch, & Costco in turn).
Still, to closely paraphrase the words of a friend of mine, I believe that all of us women are ‘mothers’ that need to be celebrated. Just as a mother would wrap her arms around her child when they need it, I am trying to wrap my own ‘arms’ around a friend, loved one, husband. Just as a mother teaches and shapes her child’s mind, I strive to find something to contribute to everyone who asks for it. So, to all the amazing women in my life (mom or not!)… Happy Mother’s Day!
5 comments:
I was thinking of you yesterday and I pray that Team Hartwell can draft a rookie soon. :)
Absolutely, Liz. I share your belief that all of us, men and women, "mother" in our own way.
Yet and still, I also know Mother's Day can carry a sting for women who are trying to have a baby (and/or have lost babies and children of their own). I've been thinking about you and share monkeymama's sentiments exactly. :)
Those of us who chose not to have chldren get really lost on this day also. I was a little sad this weekend. There is no day that celebrates us non-mom's.
No real point to this reply other than I can relate to where you are coming from even if it is for a different reason.
Well said, Liz.
Oh Liz, what a well-thoughtout post. 'Mothering' is who so many of us are, an actual mother or not. Well wishes to you and Seth.
Post a Comment