Yesterday, and today, are a time of extreme emotion in our house:
Elation and relief - at Obama's historic win and a new direction for our country. I was especially moved when Virginia went blue. Just think: Obama's parents' marriage would have been illegal in that state, and just a generation later they elected him President of the United States. Progress!
Confusion and dismay - at the discrimination perpetuated in California, Florida, and Arkansas. (And at the Minnesota senate race, which is still too close to call.)
Shock, sadness, and fear - at the news that my friend Heather and her husband lost their daughter Grace at 38 weeks due to a tangled umbilical cord. Grace was delivered stillborn yesterday. I am utterly heartbroken for them and, selfishly, terror-stricken for us. I have already been made painfully aware that our loved ones do not belong to us and that life is fragile. But (whether it's pregnancy hormones or the realization that I already love our daughter fiercely), I am just sick over this news. Please say a prayer for Heather and Jeff and their families.
Onward...
4 comments:
I'm so, so sorry to read about Grace. I'll be thinking about her and sending her prayers.
(I meant, sending prayers for the whole family.)
Our prayers are with Heather, Jeff and their families. I can only imagine what a loss like that must be like.
That is so sad, Liz. I will be thinking about them, and you.
Post a Comment