Friday, October 3, 2008

long time no post!

Things are going well in our corner of the world. Work has been a bit trying lately – I seem to have a higher than average number of clients who are getting into trouble. Seth is teaching an undergrad studio at the university and LOVES it. I think teaching at the college level suits him perfectly. He’s also very busy preparing for his graduate recital on November 15. It’s going to be fabulous!

In baby news, I am 23 weeks pregnant and it’s still a girl! We had another ultrasound on Tuesday because at the last one, the baby wouldn’t move and the tech couldn’t get a good view of the heart (le bebe was sleeping, perhaps?). On Tuesday, in an effort to get the baby moving, I downed a can of Dr. Pepper before the scan. That may have been a mistake. Our daughter was so squirrely and hyper, all the pictures of her are blurry. But, evidently they got what they needed and her heart, stomach, bladder, and diaphragm (which, since she’s destined to be a singer, we think she will probably use a lot) are all healthy. Hooray!

We have picked out a name (but are not sharing – sorry!) and ordered her crib because everyone said it could take up to 6 months, so we thought we’d better hurry… but it’s already in and we’ll get it on Saturday. So, we probably appear a bit hysterical to the good people at Babies R Us. Oh well! I’m sure we’re not the only people to have a crib with 3.5 months to go… right? The baby’s room is painted and will have a new crib as of Saturday, so I’ll take some pictures. I love how it’s turning out!

One of these days I need to have The Talk with my bosses about my maternity leave. I’m sure it will go just fine considering how excited the entire office is about this baby – but it’s still a small firm and therefore doesn’t have the resources to fund a nice long leave for me. I don’t want to leave them in the lurch, either, considering I’m in court three times a week and that would be a lot for them to take on in my absence. We’ll see how it goes!

32 days till the election… is anyone else tired of the state of things? Anyone who knows me well knows that I am a card-carrying Democrat, but even though I’ve been doing my part to participate and am bordering on obsessed with the op ed columns, I’m still growing a bit weary of politics. I’m tired of the hostile, ignorant vitriol being spewed by both sides. I’m tired of people talking about Christians like they are the enemy. I’m tired of people assuming I can’t be liberal and religious at the same time. I’m tired of people taking mean, personal jabs at Republicans – because even though I might disagree with conservative policies, I know a lot of lovely, generous people who are Republican (my parents, to name two). And, naturally, I’m not thrilled with the jabs taken at Democrats either. I can’t help but think that people who speak in sweeping generalities must not know anyone on the “other side.” But why would they think that the inappropriate hostility is going to persuade someone? I think you are doing your candidate a real disservice any time you don’t take the high road. Anyway, that’s what’s on my mind these days…

3 comments:

Barbara Marincel said...

I'm so glad she's got all of her necessary parts, including the all-important diaphragm! Do you think she'll be a soprano or an alto?

I know how you feel about religion and politics. when I worked for Wellstone, I noticed that a lot of my co-workers looked at me very strangely when they discovered I was a practicing Catholic. And one time I really blew up at some of them when they were making fun of Catholics. It's ironic, considering that the vast majority of Catholic social teaching is really quite liberal--anti-war, anti-poverty, anti-death penalty, pro-environment, etc. Of course, listening to many of the US bishops, including my own, it sounds like the only thing the Church care about is abortion.

Sigh.

Emilie said...

I have to say, I agree with your final paragraph. Personally, I have come to feel frustrated at the extent of the meanness toward Sarah Palin in particular (though I'm guilty of snickering at some of the jokes about her). I don't think any of it is going to change anyone's minds.

If it makes you feel better, I was only in my second trimester with Daniel when we got our crib. :)

Also, I tagged you on my blog.

Kelley said...

Hey! I'm glad to hear from you, since I wonder about you regularly. One of these days I'll call, but I always think of it during the day, and I'm guessing it's harder to get through to you when you're, you know, at work.

Ah, politics. I'm a total junkie anymore. Can't say that I've wearied of it in general, although I do want it to BE OVER! If only so I can get some sleep again.

And just in case, I should clarify for you that my own personal problem isn't with Christians, but with the Christian RIGHT. There does seem to be quite a difference. But, that's coming from me, so who knows.

Can't wait to see the pictures of the nursery!