Oh dear. I have shamefully neglected this blog since Anna's birth... but I'm guessing that if you are on Facebook, you are pretty well caught up with what's new with me (short answer: not much, except I am the mother of a now-4-month-old daughter and am back to work full-time). The combination of the 4-month-old daughter and the full-time job means that there is precious little time for anything else, which is why I am hopelessly, hopelessly behind on thank-you notes, birthday cards, and sending gifts in the mail on time (three things at which I had previously been fairly decent). This weekend I finally got caught up on the thank-you notes (I think... but if you sent us something recently and don't get a note from me in the next, say, week, please tell me). I also indulged my OCD tendencies and bought something I've wanted for a long time: a greeting card organizer. Now, instead of my old Rubbermaid container full of stationery, I have an organized box of cards divided by month and occasion. I went through my calendar, made a list of all upcoming holidays in the next three months, and went shopping for cards. Every occasion until the end of August is now neatly organized and ready to go. Of course, this still does not guarantee you will receive a birthday card from me on time, considering I also have to write in the card, find a stamp, and put it in the mailbox.
It's amazing: I considered myself a good, even a very good, multi-tasker before Anna was born. And I think I was as prepared as one can be for the tumult children add to one's life - even though I didn't know exactly what it would be like, I certainly expected that it would change everything, and it has. It's pretty incredible how you can go through an entire day without a break and still not have anything to show for it (although I'd argue a well-fed, well-rested child is certainly an accomplishment). It is a very different kind of being busy than I have at the office. At the end of a particularly busy day at work, I might have done one or two hearings, written a brief or several motions or letters, talked with any number of clients or attorneys, spoken with my clients' therapists or physicians, researched issues of law, attended a committee meeting or bar luncheon, or any combination of these. Yet this is a tropical vacation compared to life with a newborn!
As if the universe is mocking me for having just said this, I just got handed a doozy of an emergency assignment (kidnapped child, taken across state lines by non-custodial parent), so I'd best sign off... but first need to congratulate my dear friends Jenia & Eric on the birth of their daughter Siri! Anna, Seth, & I are thrilled for you and big sister Annie!
More later...
1 comment:
preaching to the (ole?) choir.
Post a Comment