I worked from home today. It seemed the best way to deal with the fact that I was up from 12 midnight to about 5:45 a.m. having contractions. I slept from 5:45 to 7:00 a.m. Then my alarm went off and I quickly realized professional attire and facing my co-workers were not in the cards. (The contractions have completely gone away, by the way. My doctor's office didn't seem to care and said they were Braxton-Hicks. I disagreed, as they were totally different from the BH contractions I've been having for months, and I could not sleep through them. But obviously they were not the real thing!) Anyway, I had my laptop at home and all my work files, and billed just as many hours at home as I do during a normal day. I wish I could do that every day - except I really can't until Jan. 21. That's the day when all my obligations - the trial, hearing, and settlement facilitation I have all in the coming week - will finally be over and I can just piddle around at home writing briefs and letters and stuff. Boy, I can't wait.
I know I'm not indispensable at work - far, far from it - and I know that if I were to have our daughter right now the world would go on spinning just as it should. But quite frankly, I will feel about 1000% more relaxed when these three things are behind me! And I know I won't feel very relaxed even then - because, let's face it, there isn't a lot to get your brain spinning a hundred miles a minute like the thought that any day, you could be a parent.* So imagine how worked up I must feel now with all these silly court appearances to contend with.
* Funny story: Seth and I went to a breastfeeding class tonight. At some point, the narrator said, "Parents, don't forget to..." and my first thought was "why are they addressing my parents?!" Then I realized: oh. They are talking to us. Yup.
4 comments:
Oh my Gosh Liz, you are almost there. And you are officially more pregnant than I have ever been.(34 and 35 weeks respectively). I am so excited for you and Seth. And know exactly what you mean about feeling more relaxed when some of that stuff is done and behind you. I will be thinking of you often in the upcoming weeks!
I know how I'm feeling being roughly 10 weeks behind you due date wise so I can only imagine how the emotions escalate. I too have stuff planned right up near my due date and I hope I'm not being totally foolish to think I can get it done. The kicker - the 5th grade communion banquet on Maundy Thursday - I'm "due" 6 days later. LOL
Hang in there, rest when you can and move forward as best you can. I'll pray for little Hartwell to hold out until after the 21st but not too much after!
That must have been the craziest feeling to hear yourselves addressed as "parents"--kind of like being called a "bride" for the first time during wedding planning! GULP!!!!!
I laughed at your side note. That's so cute!
Thise Braxton-Hicks are something else, aren't they? Hope you can rest up as much as possible before you go.
Can't wait until you do have her! I want to see her cute little face and hear of the name you have chosen. I had a dream the other night about you. You guys lived here in MN. When you had her, I came to the hospital to see you and she was gorgeous! I even remember her name. But I'm holding out...
Post a Comment